Sunday, January 23, 2011

Bees

Yesterday we were pulling into our driveway after going shopping and saw a huge swarm of bees fly through our driveway and past the house. I thought we should drive around the block before pulling in so that all of the bees would be gone before we got the kids out of the car. Weldon said OK but he wanted to see where they were going first so he could tell my dad about them ( my dad sort of collects bees and is into starting beehives and stuff.) So Weldon gets out of the car goes back behind the house the direction that the bees had gone. A few seconds later he runs back and asks for my phone. He calls my dad and tells him that the swarm of bees are going into the brick wall that borders our back yard. My dad was pretty excited and said he would come right over. The kids and I stayed inside while Weldon and my dad tried to figure out a way to get the bees out of the brick wall and into the beehive that my dad had brought with him. They finally decided to vacuum them up with a shop vac and them dump them into the beehive box. they were funny though because they didn’t put the bee suits on until each of them had been stung once. I think the FIRST thing I would have done would be put on the bee suit before I go knocking holes in walls and vacuuming up a bunch of bees. Any way it seemed to work and after re-homing the majority of the bees into the box they stopped for the night to let the rest of the bees find their way in with the others. It must have worked because this morning when I went out side there were bees buzzing around the box rather then the wall. My dad and brother came and took the box of bees back to their house tonight. I am glad because as much as I like honey and appreciate all of the hard work that the bees do in order for me to enjoy it, I don’t want them making it in my back yard! Here are some pictures.

DSC00726

That’s a LOT of bees!!!

DSC00728

The official bee suits!

3 comments:

  1. Holy Cow! That is crazy. We have been fighting bees all fall and winter. First they made a 3 foot hive in our pump house. Then we poisoned them and so they moved into our chimney and I would kill hundreds in the house during the day. I do not know if they are still there or not. If they come back I will get Weldon to come help us! I think we have the same background on our blog! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Bee or not to Bee, that is the question...

    ReplyDelete
  3. HaHa Cinda, that is funny. That just means we both have great taste in backgrounds! I went a head and changed it though because I did that whole post on Colton and his birthday and figured I aught to have a little more boyish background. Weldon had a lot of fun playing with the bees, so he would probably love to come help you out!

    ReplyDelete