Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Kaci was Stung by a Scorpion

A few weeks ago Weldon had to work on a Saturday so the kids and I just stayed home and got ready to have a normal day. Preston woke up so I took him into the other room to change him and get him dressed and ready for the day. As usual Colton and Kaci followed me into the room and started playing with their toys while I changed him. All of the sudden Kaci screamed and started stomping and jumping around, she was only about two feet away from me so I looked down and couldn’t believe it, there was a tiny scorpion crawling away from where she had been standing. I wasn’t wearing shoes so I grabbed a block and smashed it. I picked Kaci up and put her on the bed in my room and then had to go back and carry Colton from the room as well because he had climbed up on top of Kaci’s dresser and was afraid to touch the floor. After Colton, Kaci, and Preston were all safe on my bed I called Weldon to tell  him that she had been stung and that I was going to head to the ER, but by this time she had stopped crying and was just telling me all about it. I looked at her foot and could see a little mark where it had stung her. Since she was acting fine by this point we decided to wait a few minutes before taking her in to see if she started showing any symptoms of being stung. Weldon headed home from work anyway just incase we needed to take her in. After 5 minutes she was jumping on the bed with Colton like nothing had happened. An hour later and still nothing, so we didn’t have to take her in. I did some research on scorpions and learned that it is possible for them to sting and not release venom, so either that’s what happened or else the way she stepped on it kept it from being able to sting her enough to break through all of the skin on the bottom of her foot. Whatever the reason, we feel like we dodged a bullet on that one!! I just cant believe that there was a scorpion in January! Stupid things, I hate them. Needless to say we have since sprayed our house and will continue to do so no matter what time of year it is!

scorpion

Here is a picture of what was left of the scorpion. He wasn’t very big. Oh and another nasty thing about scorpions is that they can live 7 to 8 YEARS!!! They are pretty much super bugs. We are just glad Kaci was fine!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment