Monday, February 11, 2019

March 2018

 Swans on a frozen lake

 We were so grateful for the Y so we could go swimming during Christmas break
 Snuggle baby





 Kaci made this dress herself!!
 This is the face of a little boy who did NOT eat the last of my chocolate ice cream. haha

 this was fun, we got bottles of water with food coloring and 'painted' the snow with it
 couldn't handle the switch to earlier mornings with Daylight savings
 Gotta do something during the winter to keep boredom away
 Went to the zoo on one of the warmest days

Well it has been a long winter here. I am so done with the cold weather! I seem to have hibernating instincts or something because I have been extremely unmotivated all winter and all I want to do is sleep all the time. Seriously it is ridiculous. I have to force myself to do anything at all. The saddest thing is that even we got enough snow, it was all really soft powder and impossible to make a snowman with. All I wanted to do all winter was build a really beautiful snowman. Every time it would snow I would get that song in my head and get all of my snow gear on and rush outside with the kids, only to be disappointed that the snow was useless, I couldn’t even make a decent snow ball. Sigh. Oh well, it was still really pretty and it worked for sledding and snow angels. I actually really like the snow, well unless I have to drive in it, and I do worry about Weldon driving all the way to work in it. But it is so beautiful, and I love the way it sounds while it is snowing, well I guess I like the way it seems to silence everything and it is so peaceful and sill. I also love that it is usually not very cold while it is snowing. The hard part is when it stops snowing and it just gets dang cold! It was actually pretty neat because we got our first good snow for the year on Christmas morning and woke up to a beautiful white Christmas. It was magical. I knew we were supposed to get snow, and that we would be out on Christmas break so I stocked up on groceries and I swear I didn’t leave the house for over two weeks. After Weldon went back to work and we were getting low on groceries and the temperatures had warmed up to about 17 degrees I bundled up the kids and we went shopping. I had to laugh at myself though because it had been so long since I left the house that I felt like it should have been narrated by a nature documentary… “Despite the freezing temperatures, the mother and her cubs venture forth from their den in search of food, the mother knows if they don’t find something soon, they will not survive the harsh winter…”haha, but seriously that would be pretty accurate! Did I mention that I am happy it is spring time!? (Even though I never made a snowman)






Colton turned nine in January. Nine!!! I can’t hardly believe it, he is so big! He wanted a Sly Cooper cake so I made him one and he was pretty happy with how it turned out. He got four Walki Talkies, a journal, and a light up fidget spinner for his birthday. Colton is so funny and smart and he is such a sweet kid. On Thanksgiving he got up early and made toast and hot chocolate and brought Weldon and I breakfast in bed because “it is Thanksgiving and he is thankful we are his parents”. He is always helping out and is nice and happy almost all of the time. Even when he is a bit grumpy it never lasts more than a few minutes and I admire his ability to let things go and just be happy, I could learn from that! He is also always trying to help out and surprise me with things, one time I came down stairs after getting out of the shower and found that they had decided to surprise me by ‘mopping’ the floor for me. They had dumped several gallons worth of water on the floor and probably half a bottle of dish soap and all four of them had towels and were on their hands and knees and were busily mopping away. It was one of those times I had to remind myself that it is the thought that counts as I helped them clean it all up. Gotta say, even though the floor was a bit sticky from soap residue, it was pretty shiny and it looked great! Colton also has a really funny sense of humor and is always making little jokes. Once we were watching a show and there were alligators in the water and someone fell in and Colton says “looks like their food came in… get it Cayman, like the alligators!” and laughed and laughed at his clever play on words. 






Colton is getting to that stage where he is starting to get embarrassed easily especially by displays of affection. Last week he gave his teacher a hot pad he had made for her and she hugged him in front of the whole class and he was so embarrassed. I told him he should never be embarrassed that somebody loves him. Luckily he doesn’t seem to mind when I hug him, good thing because I don’t plan on stopping! Colton has been having a hard time with his multiplications in math and after being unable to pass his three’s on a timed test for the fourth time he got really frustrated and started crying at school and then was embarrassed about that and just felt really bad over all. His teacher told him she would give him extra help and I told him I would help him at home too. He told me, “Mom, you don’t even know them very well, I have trust that my teacher can help me because she has lots of experience helping kids like me learn.” Fair enough. Whatever she did seems to be working because the next day he passed his three’s. He was so relieved and excited. When he got home from school Kaci went outside and planned a surprise party for him with our neighbors Elena and Povalina. They were so sweet, they decorated and had snacks and everything all to celebrate him passing.


Kaci is always doing sweet things like that, planning a party to help someone feel good, or drawing a picture or writing a note to help someone feel better. She writes me love notes almost every day and they are my favorite. She is teaching herself cursive and most of her notes are written in her pretty cursive. She also loves to make things for people, especially her teacher. She got a little loom thing and she and Colton made hot pads for their teachers. Kaci said that her teacher told her that she really needed some new ones and was about to go buy some but now that Kaci gave her one she wouldn’t need to any more. Kaci felt so good that she gave her teacher something she needed and saved her some money. Kaci has also make some for us to use at our house and anytime I am cooking she comes in and asks if I need to use a hot pad. Which of course I always do. She gets a really big smile on her face and I can tell she feels very proud that something she made is useful and needed. Kaci also used some left over fabric to make her teacher a purse. She did it all by herself by folding the fabric in half and sewing the sides shut, she even cut strips of fabric and made straps. She was very proud of her purse, and even though she had made it for her teacher she wanted to talk to me first and make sure it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if she gave it to her teacher instead of to me. She is always thinking about other people and things she can to do make them feel better. While she was sewing my machine started being stupid and snagging and just not working right. She called me over to help and I was getting pretty irritated with the darn thing and she kept apologizing for breaking my machine, I had to stop and tell her that I was frustrated with the machine, not with her, and that I didn’t think it was her fault that the machine wasn’t working. I have learned that I need to be really careful around Kaci because she feels responsible for things so I need to take the time to let her know everything will be ok.




Kaci LOVES school, she just excels at everything and is doing so well that she is basically helps the teacher teach. In fact they even send her to kindergarten to help out with the kids there and be an assistant teacher there. She also helps the kids in her class with their math and reading. She love to help and I think it makes her feel special and useful, but she doesn’t like being in charge of helping them behave because it is hard for her to tell on them if they are being naughty, she is afraid it will make them feel bad. One of the things that she got to do as a reward for being so good was to choose a day that she could sit at the teachers desk for the day instead of her little desk. Oh she was so excited, she wanted me to put her hair in curlers the night before because she wanted to have curly hair like her teacher so she would really look like her teacher and trick her class mates. Haha so we put her hair in curlers, she said her teacher laughed when Kaci told her that she was trying to look like her. Our silly Kaci. Even though she is sweet and wonderful Kaci is still very much a tease, in fact once at school their teacher asked her if she could have any pet what would it be. Kaci answered that she would like a parrot. When her teacher asked why Kaci said “because a parrot would repeat everything Mom says and that would drive her crazy and Daddy would laugh”. Haha a repeating parrot would drive me crazy, and Weldon would probably be the one who taught it to repeat so he would be laughing! She knows us well.

Weldon got Kaci and Colton little tiny swiss army knives with a bunch of different blades and scissors and tweezers and stuff and they thought they were pretty neat. Well they asked if they could cut the box that they came in while I was making breakfast before school, so I said sure but to be careful. So they are cutting away when Kaci cuts her finger. She is breathing deep and trying to stay calm and shows it to me. It was a pretty good cut. I was surprised that the little knife was able to cut her that bad. I couldn’t really tell how deep it was and I didn’t think it needed stitches but it was bleeding pretty bad so I tell her we need to rinse it off to see how bad it is and so the band aid will stick. We go in the bathroom and gently rinse it off. Kaci is still doing a good job of staying calm when she says “I can’t see anything, I need to sit down” and she just slumps over. I am barely holding on to her one bleeding hand and don’t have a good grip on her and didn’t want her to fall and bash her head on the sink or toilet so I am half way shouting at her to stand up and I help her to the kitchen chair for her to sit on. She was so pale that her lips were blue and she was cold and sweaty and kept gaging like she was about to throw up. We brought her a bowl just in case and I hurried and put the band aid on. Once I got it covered up I gave her a piece of chocolate to try and help her not feel like she would pass out any more. After the cut was covered and the blood wiped up she started to feel better. She doesn’t remember me yelling at her, so that is good, but she did say it was weird to not be able to see and that everyone sounded really far away. Once she started feeling better she decided that she still wanted to go to school so she could tell her teacher that she almost passed out. She wore that band aid like a badge of honor and she will probably have a scar on her finger.  She also decided that she shouldn’t use her knife for a while and that when she does she will be more careful.

Preston is five, funny and full of life. He has the most interesting view of things and he cracks me up every single day. Before Christmas he was really concerned with the naughty and nice list and if he would make the cut. Weldon had jokingly said ‘shut up’ or something like that and Preston had gotten after him for saying a bad word, so I said “Yeah Daddy, talk nice or you will be on the naughty list!” Preston just started bawling and says “Oh no! Sometimes I say bad words, they just sneak out, and now I am going to be on the naughty list!” he was in full blown panic mode. So I had to help him calm down and told him just to keep trying to be good and say sorry if he does something wrong and he should be fine. Preston is a tease, he likes to pretend that he ‘teleports’ everywhere. When I come to wipe him in the bathroom he will call me and then say “I’m in the downstairs bathroom, I teleported!” to try and trick me into going to the wrong bathroom. Sometimes I wait a few minutes before coming in and when he asks what took me so long I say it is because I went to the downstairs bathroom and he wasn’t there. Then he will laugh and say he just teleported back up to this one. He talks about Halloween every single day and changes his mind on what he wants to dress up as every twenty three minutes. He changes his favorite color, and his favorite animal every hour too, but it always gives us something new to talk about. He insists that he is part of whatever his favorite animal is at the moment. For example: “Wow, I am really strong, I must be part Gorilla!” or “Wow, I smelled breakfast all the way upstairs, I must be part Wolf!” And he is very proud of his ability to spot things we can’t, in fact we call him Eagle Eye Preston because of this. A few weeks ago we were in the forest on a walk and Weldon pulled some bark off of a tree and there was a mouse that fell down with it and no one saw it until Eagle Eye Preston pointed it out to us. He thought that was pretty funny, and that naturally, he must be part Eagle. Preston was explaining something to the other day and it took me a while to figure out what he was talking about. He was telling me how when Colton and Kaci were in my tummy and I would eat something they wouldn’t like it and they would punch it out, but when he was in my tummy he liked all the food and he never punched it out. I realized that he was talking about me having morning sickness when I was pregnant with Colton and Kaci but not with him. And his understanding was that the babies ‘punched’ the food out because they didn’t like it.

Preston managed to run over his own hand while riding a tricycle yesterday and he was so sad because he ‘really liked that hand’. And he cried and cried as if his hand will never be the same, but then a band aid fixed the problem. Later last night he tripped over a toy car while getting ready for bed and got a slight scrap (no blood). He immediately began yelling for a band aid the way a soldier on a battlefield would yell for a medic. It was a pretty big deal that once again was fixed by a simple band aid. I love band aids, I am glad that right now everything bad in his life can be fixed with kisses and band aids, even if he is a bit of a drama king. Preston has a little wart on the palm of his hand and we got some medicine to put on it and make it go away and when he found out we wanted to make it go away he was not happy with us. He said it is a part of him and he loves every part of himself and we can’t take it away. Haha it is kind of hard to argue with that logic! So I am not sure what we will do about that.









I have started donating Plasma twice a week and I take the two little boys with me because they have a nice little child watch place for them to play there for the hour I am donating. When I explained before we went that they would have to poke me with a needle Preston freaked out and said he wouldn’t let me go, I was NOT allowed to go! They couldn’t have any of my blood! No matter what I told him he wouldn’t calm down and since I already had an appointment but didn’t want to take a hysterical five year old in I told him I wouldn’t let them poke me but I still had an appointment. (horrible I know) He calmed down and we went in and he was really excited to see the toys he would get to play with. When the nurse at the front desk asked if I had eaten breakfast I said yes, then Preston let her know we had pancakes, and Owen informed her we also had sausage and eggs. So she said “oh yummy, pancakes with sausage and eggs! Did you save any for me?” Preston’s eyes got huge, deer in the headlights look, and while never looking away from her face he leans towards me and in the loudest stage whisper ever asks “Mom, do we have any left?” I laughed and said I don’t think we do, the nurse laughs and tells him she was just joking, but thanks any ways. So then I check them into the child watch and went back for my donation. When I pick them up he tells me all about the fun he had and then he asks me if they took some of my blood, I had to fess up so I told him yes, but that I was ok. He looked at me and says: “Ugh I KNEW you were tricking me!” but he since he could tell I was ok he didn’t seem too upset. When we got home he runs into the kitchen and grabs the plate of pancakes off the counter and says “Mom we DO have some left!” he wanted to go back and give it to the front desk nurse but we didn’t. Preston is just so funny and sweet and love to snuggle me and wants to be where ever I am. He always makes me feel special.

Owen is not a baby anymore. That is kind of sad really, but now I get to enjoy him as a big kid and he is really fun to be around. He turned three in January and we decided it was time to potty train him. The only problem was that he didn’t want to. No amount of bribing him would make him sit on the little potty chair. He didn’t want candy, he didn’t want marshmallows, he DID NOT want to run around naked. I was at wits end about what to do because I knew he was old enough, he just didn’t want to. Finally Weldon offered to let him ride in his truck with him and go get happy meals if he would just pee in the toilet. So he did. And that was it, no accidents, straight to underwear. Doesn’t even wear a diaper at night. It was amazingly easy once Weldon figured out what Owen really wanted. So yeah now he is completely potty trained and will even use the restrooms away from home and tell use when he needs to go and everything. About a week after he started using the potty Weldon had just gotten home and I had just made dinner when he went pee. We all clapped and celebrated with him but when he wanted to go on a ride in Daddy’s truck we couldn’t because it was time to eat, so he wanted some candy, but he couldn’t because we were about to eat. He got frustrated with us and puts his hands on his hips and says “guys, it’s called potty training!” we laughed, and he did get his ride and his candy after we finished dinner. One of the most common things I hear from Owen now is “Sorry for peeing over the toilet”. This kid… I am not sure if it is just a high power sprayer or a crooked sprayer because he can be sitting down, everything positioned in a way that physics would usually dictate the pee go into the water, and still manage to pee straight over the top. Once I was standing in front of the toilet, a good two feet away, and he somehow peed in-between the toilet and the seat and managed to get it all over my feet. He thought it was funny, I did not. Another time right before bed he goes into the bathroom with his stuffed Batman toy that he sleeps with, and next thing I know he is yelling in a near panic “Mom! I peed on Batman!” it was the same kind of deal, poor Batman was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I had to wash him and Owen was nearly traumatized. Peeing on Mom is funny, peeing on Batman is just outta line… explain that to me! When he got him back the next day he was very grateful and thanked me repeatedly for washing his Batman.

I also finally weaned him, I know I know three is so old to still be nursing, but it was the only time he would hold still and let me snuggle him. I regret nothing. While I was still nursing we would race to our chair and when he would beat me there he would sit there with his hands together and say “well, well, well, what have we here?” it was hilarious. So anyway to wean him I just stopped nursing him and told him it was all gone. Naturally he was skeptical. When I told him it was all gone he puts his hand on his chin in the ‘thinking pose’ and says “Hmmm, can I check?”

So Owen loves Batman, not sure if that has been mentioned. He can work Batman into every single conversation, every single one. Talking to Owen goes a lot like this: “Hey Owen, do you want mac and cheese for lunch?” and he will answer “yeah, and Batman can fly and has a super-fast car” and then he will run off acting like flying Batman with sound effects and everything. For his birthday he had a Batman cake and he was thrilled, he still occasionally thanks me for making his Batman cake.











I have to do some figuring out sometimes when it comes to what he is talking about. The other day in the grocery store he kept talking about chocolate eggs and was upset with me for getting regular eggs. It wasn’t until he pointed them out that I realized he was talking about the brown organic eggs and that he thought they were chocolate. About a week ago we found a tic on Shadow and of course got it off right away but Owen was just really worried about that ‘lady bug’ on Shadow. About two days pass and he is sitting on my lap when he reaches up and touches a mole that I have on my neck and asked me if I had a ‘lady bug’ like Shadow. I assured him that I do not have a tic on me sucking my blood, and that it was just a mole. (And it didn’t make me self-conscious about it or want it removed at all either, haha)

A while ago he was kneeling on my lap and he leans towards me with a big spit bubble on his lips trying to show it to me. I try to move a way but it pops and some spit drips and lands on my pants and I say “Gross you got spit on my pants!” and he is very indignant that I didn’t give him the praise he felt like he deserves and he says “I made a BUBBLE!” as if that totally justifies the spit that dripped on me. Being a mom can be gross sometimes.

Owen really wants to go to school. Colton always brings home crackers and apple juice that he shares with the boys, so Owen thinks that is all they do at school and he wants to go so bad. He asks every day if he can go, and promises that he will bring me home all of his snacks and apple juice. He has started calling the childwatch at the Y and at the plasma place his school and calls the people that watch him his teachers. So now he can say he had a fun day at school and it makes him feel good. He is so sweet and sill and makes life fun. I love kissing his belly, he has learned how to wink and give thumbs up, and he is pretty cute. Anytime he is play shooting and he gets me he will say “ here, have an apple, an orange, a bane-anna (banana) its medicine, all better!” as he hands me imaginary medicinal fruit to heal me so we can keep playing. He is funny. And if he apologizes for anything you had darn better acknowledge and accept immediately or he will say ‘sorry’ louder and louder and get angry with you if you don’t. 


Some pictures of our life































Poor Owen was so tired of smiling!! haha



No comments:

Post a Comment